   Re: [xml-dev] Architectural Forms: The Next Generation

Jason Diamond wrote:

> Is it possible to reorder the mapped forms? What if I wanted the date
> element to appear after the byline element? I'm assuming that the order of
> forms in the map has no effect since they don't match the result document.
>
> I like the idea but it seems that all your map can do is strip and rename.
> Wouldn't mapping from one form to another with more complex vocabularies
> require more functionality than that?
>
> I'm just a youngin' so AFs are entirely new to me. But it seems that
you're
> just trying to write a transform but without using XSLT or other
procedural
> code. Don't get me wrong, I think that'd be great but it doesn't seem to
> have the flexibility and power that you get with full XSLT.

As I said: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200201/msg01668.html , AF
is a transform, and John's syntax appears simpler than XSLT for the special
case where it is appropriate. The other issue will be the performance of a
transform engine that may restrict itself to the AF special case rather than
full XSLT. Some empirical data on this would be interesting. In the general
case I use XSLT for the purpose of AF.

Jonthan