   RE: [xml-dev] What is the name of a document's "type"?

There is no single notion of document type. You can define a number of
classification criteria that you apply to documents, based on the namespaces
they use, the schemas they conform to, the name of the top-level element,
and so on, and you can call any one of these the "document type" if that
makes sense in your application area.

Remember that in the real world, types are rarely mutually exclusive.
(History and Biography overlap, a fact which most bookshops choose to
overlook.) You can create a document that is both a valid XHTML document and
a valid XSLT stylesheet.

Mike Kay