   Re: [xml-dev] Compound processing

> On Thursday 24 January 2002 10:12 am, Mark Baker wrote:
> > Right.  But I'm only interested in the serialized structure, not
> > anything to do with activation and binding with that structure
> > (Bento vs. Opendoc).
>
> I think they're somewhat related though I understand the point you're
> making. Bento was good primarily because it did/assumed very little. I
> assume you're thinking along the same lines?

Yes.

> If so, then this is
> really just going to be another form of packaging. Anything beyond
> this starts encroaching on the application space.

There's definitely some overlap with packaging, but it is not a general
packaging solution.  For example, you couldn't package simplified XSLT
stylesheets with this solution, for all the reasons we've discussed
here.

> > That depends.  If any subdocument acts as a container, and the
> > element of that subdocument which does the containing is required to
> > be processed (e.g. smil:skip-content="false"), then if a suitable
> > compound processor cannot be constructed, processing must fail.
>
> I think that would depend on the application though.

Ok.  But I think that if one were building a general model, that failure
in this situation would likely cover the needs of most apps.  Do you
agree?

> > For packaging, I'm assuming a compound document with containment
> > purely by value.
>
> The point I was making is that in the context of a given application,
> dispatch is usually a trivial part of the overall application.

Agreed.  I'm not trying to solve world hunger. 8-)

MB