   Re: [xml-dev] Auto-completion in editors (RE: [xml-dev] ANN: XML Origin,

Nicolas LEHUEN wrote:

> We can see that when typing '</', a list of tags to be closed is proposed.
> This is not required. At any moment, in an XML document, there is only one
> tag to be closed, the last opened one.

Why? Because you feel that as a document has to be well-formed when you deliver
it somewhere, you have to create it in order? I'd far sooner type in the end tag
of a distant ancestor and have the application fill in the missing end tags. In
fact, I'd really like to just put in the start tag for the sibling of the
distant ancestor, but that requires SGML, so I'd need to fiddle the DTD, write a
normaliser and use any old text editor I like. What a hassle. It makes me wonder
why I do it so often.

> It's not specific to XML Origin, XML Spy makes the same mistake, while
> Excelon Stylus does not : as soon as you type '</' in Stylus, the previously
> opened tag is automatically closed, and the cursor moved at the end of the
> closing tag. It saves a lot of typing.

Not enough for me.

--
Regards,