   RE: [xml-dev] Web Design Principles (was Re: [xml-dev] Generality ofHTT

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Web Design Principles (was Re: [xml-dev] Generality ofHTTP)
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:32:49 -0600

Document Imaging System sites now make reference to fuzzy
logic technologies that can clean up bad OCR output to some
acceptable rate, so affordable technology could help out
here.  One remaining problem is trusting the fuzzy
logic to have not altered the original.   This is similar
to the issue of legal document image fidelity: many
systems don't accept a document as legal if it can have
been altered by any means, aka, the identity problem.
The application of a technology can't usually be divorced
from the content it operates over.   As long as the
identity requirement doesn't enter in, the process
can be lightly defined and the fast fingered typist
is as good as the OCR all other things being equal
(which they aren't but that's a longer story).

So we come back around to simple is ok until you have
strict requirements and money on the table.  On
the other hand, any project I've ever worked on that
relied on volunteer effort had to be simple or the
predictor for success was very low.

I wonder if the Web Design Principles are different
with large well-funded organizations in the loop.
Consider the NASA effect:  when an engineering
organization transforms into an engineering
project management organization, does the quality
of the product change or only the rate of the
process?

len