   Re: [xml-dev] Web Design Principles (was Re: [xml-dev] Generality ofHTTP

On Monday 28 January 2002 02:59 pm, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> As of last week, the number of .com name registration renewals
> began to decline.  Amazon.com made a profit of 1 cent a share.
> AOL is bidding for Red Hat but why does a media company need a
> software services company?  Everyone is rethinking things in
> the face of competitive pressures.

Ask not what you can do for the network, but rather, what can the network do for you!

> What is happening today is that people are looking at the basics
> of Internet systems and inquiring where possible improvements can
> be made.

Yep. Hypes over. Time for stagnated reality to settle in for a bit while people digest the meal they've been fed.

It's funny, because as Len pointed out a while ago 2001 and 1994 don't seem *that* much different from a technology perspective. This hit me when I realised the original charter of XML still hadn't really been fulfilled, and that docs.sun.com is *still* kick-ass technology.

Feels like we've been kidding ourselves.

>  I was navigating with telnet before a web browser was a gleam
> in DARPA's eye.  It wasn't as easy and it definitely wasn't well
> coordinated or as fixed on a single display system.

Yeah, but I could remember all the good FTP sites then... (ouch, I just remembered FTP->mail gateways too...)