   Re: [xml-dev] Web Design Principles (was Re: [xml-dev] Generality ofHT

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 02:33 am, Paul Prescod wrote:
> The big guy will dictate to the little guy but if there are true
> standards, not pseudo-standards, then the little guy will be able to
> buy off the shelf software that conforms to the big-guy's wishes,
> rather than making custom software to the big guy's spec.

Yep. The problem is that the standards are necessarily not global...
they are tweaked to the needs of a local community. I have come to the
conclusion that it is *impossible* to define standards for semantic
exchange of information (ie. taxonomies/vocabularies/whatever) that
don't have some degree of corruption/variance on the edges.

For XML/EDI, I always thought XML could *finally* make it easier for
the "big guy" to provide the needed tools for communication. As you
say, the little guy would buy COTS, and then install the
vendor-specific extensions needed for communication.