   Re: [xml-dev] Web Design Principles (was Re: [xml-dev] Generality ofHTTP

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 01:48, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> On Monday 28 January 2002 07:49 pm, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> > XML seems to me like a great opportunity for reconciling the
> > flexibility of human-to-human transactions and the received
> > brittleness of computer-to-computer transactions.
>
> Agreed. We have a chance to do lot's of little point (on the spot) mappings.
>
> Here's a question though: who is responsible for handling variant mapping?
>
>   a) I, as a producer of information, am obligated to make it available
>        to my target audience.
>   b) I, as a comsumer, am obligated to figure out what it meant.
>
> It obviously depends, but in general, I would place the onus on the producer....

I don't think there's a general means of fixing that responsibility.  My
mantra lately is "the producer advises, the consumer decides."

Strong consumers can fix work on weak producers and vice-versa, but I
think that's somewhat outside the range of issues XML practice itself
can address.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!