   Re: [xml-dev] There is a meaning, but it's not in the data alone

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 02:02 pm, John Cowan wrote:
> The idea is that there is no need to have globally unique names,
> because AFs explain how to map *your* locally unique names to
> *my* locally unique names.

Yep. I still believe that local processing always wins. From a
practical perspective, the namespace prefix is usually a lot more
useful than the namespace itself.

> Globally unique names are now a fact of life, however; in a sense,
> the battle was won when the domainists beat the bangists.

I disagree. Globally unique naming schemes always end up causing
problems... the desirable namespace being much smaller that the
available namespace (how many people want jersey.com I wonder?). The
other thing is that the names themselves evolve over time.

Domain names are a perfect example...