   Re: [xml-dev] Are Updates really needed in XQuery?

Brian Vickery wrote:

> 3.  If I have all my business contacts (companies I do business with) stored
> in an XML collection, why wouldn't I just do a complete replace if I wanted
> to change a companies name or address?

Efficiency. If the contact information includes a 300K JPEG map showing
you how to get to your customer's door, there's a big difference between
updating a few bytes in a name/address and updating 300K bytes.

> Does anyone have any real life scenarios/business cases that "MUST" have
> updates?

XML is used as a transport for relational data. Therefore, the list of
real life scenarios is (potentially) a superset of those needed for
relational databases.

-- Ron