   Re: [xml-dev] QNames in attribute values

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 21:37, Paul Prescod wrote:
> I don't know the answer to this question, but the likely reason is that
> they simplify the process of moving fragments of one document to another
> document. An early draft of the XML namespaces recommendation proposed
> using processing instructions to declare XML namespaces. While these
> were simple to read and process, they weren't easy to move to other
> documents. Attributes, on the other hand, are intimately attached to the
> elements being moved.

If you happen to grab the element with the declarations, yeah, it's
easy.  Otherwise you get to deal with a lot of stack-tracking.

It may be a beautiful part of a coherent web architecture, but it's not
much fun to write code for.

But then, I think this one aspect of the namespace debate we haven't
explored in a year or so.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!