   RE: Auto-completion in editors

Len said:

> Yes.  Although the complexity of the application,
> the use of high level editing controls that are
> inserting library objects, and so on influence my
> decisions on this.  Different languages require
> different tools.  XML is great for the overall
> generic tool, but this falls apart in the crunch.
>
> VRML is my best example. I need the IDE editor because:

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

The difficulty is that IDE's (in my experience) rarely provide the high level
power and constructs that would be useful in a way that is unintrusive and
simple.  They "get in the way" more often than not (your example of automatic
insertion of quotes is a good example of this).

Don't get me wrong....if someone comes up with a good IDE for XML and
especially XMLSchemas I'll be on my knees thanking heaven.  But I have yet
to see one (market opportunity....hint....hint!).  Same with IDE's for Java/C/etc
programming languages.....I have yet to see one that does not get in my way
more than I can bear (and I have used all the big names).  If you have found a
good VRML IDE (something I have no need for personally) then that is super!

'nuff said.

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com