   Re: [xml-dev] misprocessing namespaces (was Re: [xml-dev] There is amean

John Cowan wrote:

> Paul Prescod scripsit:
>
> > One of the major arguments for moving away from DTDs was that an
> > XML-based syntax would be simpler!
>
> Simpler for programmers, who have bbls of XML parsers to use on them.
> Not necessarily simpler for schema authors.

At the time the argument was that it would be simpler for schema author
because they would "only need to learn one syntax." I thought that that
was wrong because you've just shifted the complexity from the syntax to
the vocabulary, but that was the argument. I presumed that when Schemas
arrived there would be so many people who would learn them without ever
learning DTDs that this misunderstanding would become "historical fact".

 Paul Prescod