   URIs, Names, QNames (RE: [xml-dev] misprocessing namespaces (was Re: [xm

  • To: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • Subject: URIs, Names, QNames (RE: [xml-dev] misprocessing namespaces (was Re: [xml-dev] There is a meaning, but it's not in the data alone))
  • From: "Manos Batsis" <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:03:37 +0200
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Exactly. An resource can occur as a subject, object or predicate.
Referring to that resource *in* a simple type  (from an XSD point of
view)  leaves you with the choice of a QName or a full URI, witch is
rather messy.

BTW I would love being able to declare namespaces as:

<ns1:root xmlns:ns1="http://www.myOrg.org/ns/2002/";
                  xmlns:ns1.1="foo1.xsd"
                  xmlns:ns1.1.1="#typeName"
               xmlns:ns1.2="foo.rdf"
                  xmlns:ns1.2.1="#typeName">

<!--OR xmlns:ns1.1.1="#XPointer(id(&apos;typeName&apos;)])" -->

</ns1:root>

IMHO, the above would have extremely high semantic value, making
automated processing rules easier and scalable. Less headaches too.

> Terseness aside, there is something to be said for human
> readability, and
> problems with prefixes aside, people are drawn to qnames
> because they are
> easy to read, especially if you use a well-known prefix.

Fully agreed. I believe that the XML formal considerations about
Terseness and Readability are contradictive at this point.

Kindest regards,

Manos