   Re: [xml-dev] Co-operating with Architectural Forms

> | How rich are the transformations that AFs can perform? Can they do |
> anything more than renaming?
>
> They can do slightly more, but not much. They can leave out elements,
> turn elements into attributes, and vice versa. There are also some
> things relating to defaulting etc.

It may not sound much, but I was certainly extremely impressed a
couple of years ago to so someone at one of the SGML/XML conferences
demonstrating how to use AFs with data representation. By a simply
manipulation, the same dataset could be rendered as a pie chart, line
graph, scatter plot, histogram ... While quite a few commercial
packages can do this inside their environment, it was interesting to
see this done in an 'open' manner, but especially interesting to see
it done in a way where the representation format could be determined
by the information content itself. Maybe I'm out on a limb here, but
the idea of 'intelligent data' like this (and XSLT has some of that
funtionality, albeit highly watered down) rather catches my
imagination.

Simon North

And for an honest attribute cry out ...
Pericles IV-iii

I might say 'element,' but the word is over-worn.
Twelfth Night, III-i