   Re: [xml-dev] Auto-completion in editors (RE: [xml-dev] ANN: XML

> When are you doing this pushing and popping? The user opens a hundred
> megabyte document and scrolls to the bottom. They insert the cursor and
> try to close a tag. There is no way to know the context without parsing

How many 100 megabytes documents does the average user edit? Surely the
80-20 rule (more likely 99-1) must apply here, most documents are small.
If they are 100s of megabytes, the user should complain to their manager
about their incompetent XML consultants.

If the document is 100s of megabytes large, the editor can simply say
that the document is too big to provide auto-closing. Better to be
honest and support the majority.

While I'm at it, let me point people to XSLide, the XSL mode for emacs,
that has autoclose and a couple of other features that make it quite
nice (I use it for XML in Linux):

http://www.menteith.com/xslide/

Christian Nentwich