   RE: [xml-dev] RE: Auto-completion in editors

> From: James Clark [mailto:jjc@jclark.com]

<snip/>

> Eclipse
> (http://www.eclipse.org) also looks promising, although I
> don't think it's
> quite ready for prime time yet.

Yup. It's a bit immature, at present. But it's architecture is awesome; it
shows great promise. And each release is looking better.

I view Eclipse as more of an IDE construction kit than an IDE. Everything is
implemented as plugins. Plugins expose "extension points" that other plugins
can extend. So you build the functionality you want by building plugin atop
plugin atop plugin... The Eclipse platform gives you a framework and suite
of plugins you can use as a foundation, but ultimately developers can turn
it into the environment they want.

I've tried a few XML editors that are in the model of "here's our black-box
tool for editing documents our way". I want to turn that inside out and
provide an environment that users can extend and customize to suit their way
of working with documents. Eclipse seems like a great platform for that.