   Re: [xml-dev] XPointer crisis

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:12:40PM -0800, Heikki Toivonen wrote:
> >  Whose semantic is hardcoded in a DTD that nearly no application
> >ever respected or used. Let's have a look of the alternatives in
> >XML:
> >
> >  #foo
> >
> >  Hard to rely on it with XML, well last time I suggested on this forum xml:id
> >I got a lot of flack back, I won't try again.
> >  So either you accept to force validation of document (and hence
> >possibly have to fetch and trust remote DTD in your framework) or you
> >need other pointing schemes.
> >
> This isn't as hard as you'd think. You can have non-validating parser
> pay attention to ID type attributes.
>
> In some cases you may author your document so that it contains an
> internal subset specifying the ID type attributes.

  Seriously I have yet to see a single document with an ID attribute
redefinition in the internal subset.

> Your application may also support some kind of catalog system (a la XML
> Catalog) so that it could load a local DTD file instead of a remote DTD.

  This require prinstallation. It's a limited context, really ... I'm
fighting at the moment to have just the DocBook DTD and default
stylesheet registered in the XML Catalog of Linux distributions, and
it's not a done deal. Probability it would work on a random XML
fetched on the web is damn close to 0. Not reliable, and you want pointing
to be reliable

> Finally your application may have hardcoded support for some document
> types/schemas/namespaces, and may be able to recognize ID attributes
> because of that (take XHTML for example).

  Hardcoded :-(
  Let's not repeat the HTML disasters, thanks !

Daniel