   Re: [xml-dev] XPointer crisis

Rick Jelliffe scripsit:

> Almost everyone who says "I have implemented part of XPointer" seems
> to then say "except for ranges" because, compared to most of XPointer,
> ranges sit unhappily on the other side of an enormous architectural gap
> which should form the natural boundary for separate specs.

But that is because XPointer ranges are monstrosities: not just
*here* to *there*, but from *these* to *those* where we are dealing
with arbitrarily multiplex XPath referents.  For transclusion,
we need to be able to say *here* to *there* and that's all we need.

> The gap is "can I retrieve a WF object which is the subject of
> the link?"

What you retrieve is the whole document; the XPointer tells you
what part of it to keep.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There