   Re: [xml-dev] RELAX NG

2/2/2002 3:03:05 AM, tariq abdur-rahim <ecliptoid330@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Can anyone briefly explain to me what exactly is RELAX
>NG, how it is implemented, and what is its
>relationship to XML.

RELAX NG is a schema definition language for XML, analogous to W3C
Schema Definition Language (part 1, structures) but considerably
simpler and more formally elegant.  It *is* XML in its basic syntax
(although there is a non-XML "shorthand" syntax for convenient
editing) and defines the criteria for a valid XML document.  See
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/

It is *not* from the World Wide Web Consortium, however.  It is an
"open standard" in that it is the product of an OASIS technical
committee operating under OASIS open standards process
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml. It is being
incorporated into the "real" international standard ISO 19757
http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0275.htm.

There are several implementations of schema validators and data
binding tools that use RELAX NG syntax; these are described in a
section on on the OASIS relax-ng page mentioned above.  Perhaps most
significant is Sun's Multi Schema Validator, which handles several
XML schema syntaxes.  In short, RELAX is as much of a "real" standard
and viable option for "real" work as is the W3C schema spec.  The
question of which is most appropriate for a given task is an
interesting question; see Eric van der Vlist's excellent articles on
this subject: http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/relaxng.html
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/12/12/schemacompare.html and the ones
linked off them.

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking with "how is it
implemented" but as I understand it the elegant mathematical
underpinnings of RELAX NG make it relatively straightforward to write
a validator.  See http://www.xml.gr.jp/relax/divideAndValidate.html