   Re: [xml-dev] SAF anyone?

At 10:51 AM 2/4/2002 +0100, Eric van der Vlist wrote:

>Just wondering what's going on with SAF...
>
>The latest specification seems to be from December 2000:
>http://www.extensibility.com/resources/saf_dec2000.htm
>
>It mentions that "A future version of this document will be submitted for
>publication as a W3C NOTE" which AFAIK, hasn't happen and it hasn't been
>updated to the W3C XML Schema Rec either.

Hi Eric,

I know this has been taking a long time.

As you know, if we were to have submitted such a note, we would not be able
to say so under W3C rules. Therefore, I'm not saying one way or another
whether we have. I can definitely tell you that we fully intended to do
what we said, and we generally follow through on these things. These
statements are not intended to lead you to make any inferences.

On a completely unrelated note, the RAND vs. RF discussions in the W3C,
should such an organization exist, might have obvious ramifications for the
way incoming submissions are screened, and that this might have
significantly slowed down processing of submissions coming in during this
time. If there were any such submissions, of course.

>Furthermore, "Schema Adornments", described in the version from February 2000:
>http://www.extensibility.com/saf/spec/
>
>have been suppressed from the version from December 2000.
>
>Have I missed more recent versions? Is SAF still alive and moving and if
>yes, are the schema adornments deprecated?

I assume you refer to the following:

http://www.tibco.com/products/extensibility/resources/saf_dec2000.htm

Adornments have been replaced by direct support for appinfo

Consider a schema that contains the following global attribute, which
contains an appinfo annotation:

<xsd:attribute name="sku" type="xsd:ID">
         <xsd:annotation>
                 <xsd:appinfo>
                         <sto:index>text</sto:index>
                 </xsd:appinfo>
         </xsd:annotation>
</xsd:attribute>

This appinfo annotation is equivalent to the following association

<attribute context = "@sku">
         <sto:index>text</sto:index>
</attribute>

In this mapping, appinfo annotations are supported on element, attribute,
or type declarations, whether global or local. They are also supported in
content particles. Appinfo declarations in other locations are not
supported by the mapping. Each appinfo maps to a virtual association
element, whose element type depends on the kind of declaration; in other
words, the mapping produces an element association for an element
declaration, an attribute association for an attribute declaration, and a
type association for a type declaration. In all cases, the content of the
virtual association is identical to the content of the appinfo.

I'll send you the most recent version of the SAF in separate email.

Jonathan