   Re: [xml-dev] XPointer crisis

> > > reference) a DTD, W3C XML Schema, or other infoset-augmenting
> > > resource.  As an added bonus, the recipient doesn't have to
> > > retrieve (and process!) the DTD/XSD/what-have-you.
> > As a negative, the ID values won't be in a hashtable after parsing,
> Why wouldn't they be?  An XML parser could still build an
> index from known ID-bearing attributes, and use the index
> when possible.  There's no reason why an application

But the point of this argument was that xml:id was not necessary.. so
how can the parser know which attributes are ID-bearing without a DTD,
XSD, or xml:id attribute?

Or was your intention to suggest that the application should build the
hashtable? In that case, I would be disappointed if the parser didn't do
it for me, because it's a very common operation and I'm lazy.

Christian Nentwich