   Re: [xml-dev] misprocessing namespaces (was Re: [xml-dev] There is

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>  From: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>
>
> > Actually, you've put your finger on it.  I think we could lose
> > general entities tomorrow without much weeping.
>
> As long as "we" means "people who only do itty bitty documents
> or who have sophisticated content management systems" :-)

Or people who have to create XML data. I'm using entities at the moment (today, in
fact) - the workflow is:

  a)  convert many Word documents to well-formed but incompletly marked up (to be
finished manually),

  b)  aggregate the fragments at the volume level (using entities) and validate,

  c)  process to burst the files into the appropriate chunks for the content
management system.

The files will be stored in the content management system and checked out to be
worked on. At some future point someone will aggregate the documents (via entities)
using FrameMaker, update all of the numbering, generate tables of contents,
indexes, etc, then publish to paper and HTML. (One volume is 1800 pages, so I can't
just concatenate the files together and pass the unified file to FrameMaker.)

So I'm using entities at two points in the lifecycle of the data - what's wrong
with this? At what point will entities let me down?

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au
       - Einstein