   RE: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented vs acti

> From: Roger L. Costello [mailto:costello@mitre.org]
>

> For example:
>                              |--------|
>                              |        |
>                     |------> | Logger |
>                     |        |        |
> |------------|      |        |--------|
> |            |      |
> | Intinerary | -----|        |--------------|
> |            |      |        |              |
> |------------|      |------> | Travel agent |
>                              |              |
>                              |--------------|
[...]
> I like the clean separation of the XML message from the
> processing of the message.

The Logger and Travel agent "evaluate" the Itinerary as they see fit.

What isn't addressed here is that, at some point, parties will need to
agree on the meaning of the evaluation. A silly example, but maybe I
don't want the Logger process arranging my Itinerary and the Travel
agent dumping out to a log file.

That's to say a contract needs to be drawn up re data. True, this does
not have to be part of data being passed around. Far from it: the
contract is usually implicitly wired into the processes. But businesses
arrangements don't function well without contracts, and data has no
special status in that regard.

Bill de hOra