   RE: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented vs acti

> From: Michael Kay [mailto:michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com]

<snip/>

> Exactly. It's not a data-only message, it's data with an
> action attached to
> it. I prefer where possitble to represent the action as part
> of the message
> rather than as part of the protocol at the next level down
> the protocol
> stack.

I think there are two advantages to this approach over having the action
specified at the protocol layer.
1) You don't have to redefine how to represent the action for each protocol
binding used.
2) You can have richer messages where actions apply to portions of a
message, rather than just one action for the entire message.

However, this approach also has a disadvantage:
1) A message dispatcher must sniff the content of the message to discern its
intent. A protocol-level indicator can help optimize some level of message
dispatching, where dispatching can be done without having to parse the XML
in the message.