   Re: [xml-dev] Better is Still Better

on 2/6/02 10:02 AM, Bullard, Claude L (Len) at clbullar@ingr.com wrote:

> Elliotte has posted a URL to a Nielsen article
> that offers an interesting counterpoint to the
> "worse is better" vs "better is better" debates.
>
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20020203.html

In a world where 95% of computer users can't (or won't) tell the difference
between worse and better, it is refreshing to see that people are still
interested in this debate.

In taking potshots at Jobs, ("Improved software design is much more
important. This does require some thinking, and it's not Steve Jobs'
strategy"), Nielsen is showing that he is out of touch with what Job's
software team has been up to lately. If only he were to look at iTunes,
iMovie, iDVD, and iPhoto, he might retract his comments in a hurry.

To those who have never heard of iPhoto, I recommend a visit to
http://www.apple.com/iphoto/. In particular, you might want to check out how
iPhoto seamlessly integrates with Kodak and other "web services" such as
those for creating photo albums and custom linen-bound books -- No clunky
browser interfaces here.

Disclaimers: I don't have any affiliation with Jobs, except that I used to
work for Apple in a previous life. I have a lot of respect for Nielsen, and
his insights into usability, but I think he went overboard in this
installment of Alertbox by getting personal with Jobs.

Ramesh Gupta