   RE: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented vs acti

Roger L. Costello wrote,
> The purchase-CD action is an attribute of the <PurchaseOrder>
> element. The bill-credit-card action is an attribute of the <credit-
> card> element.  The mail-item action is an attribute of the
> <delivery-address> element.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. I am having a really hard time understanding the later two
> actions. Of course I understand that a service would need to perform
> these two actions, but I fail to understand why a "client" would have
> to explicitly specify these actions in the XML message.  Such "sub-
> actions" seem to be part of the semantics of the umbrella "purchase-
> CD" action.  Can someone explain this to me?  Or, is it just a poor
> example of a multi-action message?  If so, please give me a better
> example.

I think it's a mistake to think of these as (sub)actions.

If actions correspond intuitively to verbs, then these "subactions"
correspond to adverbial modifiers (in what manner? how? with what?
where? etc.).

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                                     InterX
Internet Systems Architect                      27 Great West Road