   RE: [xml-dev] WSIO (was Re: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages

> From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]

<snip/>

> Thanks very much for doing this, Roger.  I'm not sure we as developers
> are expected to do this kind of thinking, however, when
> Microsoft, IBM,
> and BEA are so kind as to give us organizations for making
> Web Services
> interoperable.
>
> See:
> http://www.ws-i.org
>
> For my take on this, see:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1117
>
> I'll start by saying that this makes the W3C look like a
> remarkably open
> organization, deeply responsive to the thoughts and needs of
> individual
> developers beyond large corporate organizations.  At least
> the fees and
> process rules for W3C are public...

I am disappointed. I thought OASIS was going to address this. They had
formed a Web Serices Component Model TC. But now, just recently, that TC has
changed its name and charter. It is now the Web Services for Interactive
Applications (WSIA) TC. I get the distinct impression that web services
specs are the hostage of a heated vendor war to be the first to really rake
in bucks selling web service tools and servers. The vendors are thrashing
about in a frenzy looking for that quick rubber stamp on a "standard
compliant" label they can stick to their products.

It would probably be a good thing to keep this out of the W3C until things
cool down.