   Re: [xml-dev] REST has too many verbs

2/11/2002 4:16:14 PM, "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

>You seem to have visions of a completely different set of problems than
>the ones which interest me.  If you want to go build immense corporate
>portals, go to it.

Uh, yeah, that's what the various REST/HTTP/WebServices/WS-I threads have in
common -- people are trying to leverage this Web stuff to build immense
corporate and trans-corporate systems.  You are quite sane to avoid this knotty
issue, but it's not a luxury that many of us have.  Sigh.

>I guess you've never been through the pain of writing an entire book on
>Cookies.  HTTP may be good enough for a lot of things, but calling it
>wonderful is a hard sell.

I don't believe that anyone has argued that cookies are REST-ful!  Quite the
contrary!!!  Nor that HTTP is "wonderful" in every aspect.

But let's not get into another mutual misconception mismatch thread -- Paul's
argument seems to be that the REST architecture is at a very minimum something
to seriously consider when designing the web services infrastructure; HTTP to
some significant extent implements the REST architecture, and sticking (when
possible) to those parts that overlap with REST seems like a Best Practice
guideline; and he's predicting that the web services practices that violate
REST principles and/or HTTP best practices are going to cause their
perpetrators a lot of grief down the road.

I understand where Simon is coming from, but I'd like to hear a response to
Paul from the mainstream folks who apparently believe that HTTP *is* going to
work just fine for intrinsically stateful message exchanges using resources
identified in the content of a POST rather than the URI. [Just to pull some
apparent violations of REST out of some of the SOAP-RPC paradigm].  And from
those who believe that the Internet is going to be sufficiently reliable for
complex synchronous messaging Real Soon Now, even though [as Dan Gillmor points
out in
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/dan_gillmor/
ejournal/2649436.htm " The network connection [at Demo 2002] just failed.
Incredible. If famous technology and telecom companies can't make it work for
this crowd -- some top technologists and journalists -- do you believe it will
ever work for regular folks?"