   Re: [xml-dev] REST has too many verbs

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> Someone somewhere knows what the URI identifies and
> has to tell you.

Yes. Typically Yahoo or Google. Maybe UDDI if you are into that.

> "A closed world problem is one where you know all of the users, you can share
> a data model with them, and you can all communicate directly as to your needs."

Right. And with a universal namespace, the universe becomes your "closed
world."

> get(myName, "you know my name; lookup the number")
>
> ain't that brilliant.   Seems to me that if all you
> want is that, you don't want web services; you want
> a telephone operator with a local exchange so you
> can call and ask for a service from a global exchange
> and hope the locals don't put you on hold or lose
> the context of the request.  Otherwise, how would
> you comparison shop? (Progressive customers expect
> comparison pricing...).

If the context of the request is another URI then to keep it all you
need to do is keep the URI.

> It wasn't brilliance; it was the persuasion required to
> get anyone to accept a uniform namespace for one
> application sitting a top a transport system, and
> the arrogance to suggest that it is the only
> application worth considering.

I don't have an objective definition for brilliance. All I can see
objectively is success. The single namespace has successfully bound
millions of previously separate applications into one. Thanks to it, I
can (for example) translate the output of Google into Brazilian.

 Paul Prescod