   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST? (RE: [xml-dev] WSIO- With Name)

Paul Prescod scripsit:

> > What is the URI of me? http://www.alaric-snell.com/ is the URI of an HTML
> > page about me, not *me*.
>
> It is if you say it is and the rest of us agree.

No, Alaric's right:  http://www.alaric-snell.com is not Alaric Snell.
This is where topic maps get it right.

Let us define a subject as anything that can be talked about.  Then
subjects come in two flavors: those which are resources (with native
URIs) and those which aren't.  The W3C home page is a resource, the
W3C is not.  They have different properties and can't be blindly identified.

But what *can* be done is to use the W3C home page to *identify* the
W3C.  In topic maps jargon, the home page becomes a published subject
indicator.  Published subject indicators are all over the Web:
we can get them from official lists (like the ISO 3166 country list),
by googling, or by getting together in small groups an making them
up.  If we want a PSI for Alaric Snell, we could look to some
organization he belongs to, or use his home page as a PSI.

In RDF terms, this means that non-addressable subjects can be
represented by an RDF:Description element without an RDF:about
attribute, but with a conventional property such as xtm:subjectIndicator.
We then simply need the convention that any two RDF resources with
have at least one subjectIndicator in common are equivalent.

> > ... What is the URI of pain?
>
> What do you want it to be? All we need is agreement.

Well, the word "pain" has seven senses in WordNet
(http://wordnet.cogsci.princeton.edu), of which I will arbitrarily
choose the third noun sense, the one which is synonymous with
"painful sensation"; this is pain the somatic sensation, not
emotional pain, pain as a symptom, nuisance ("pain in the neck"),
annoyance ("pain in the ass"), or either of the two verb senses.

A well-chosen PSI for this sense of "pain", then, is:
http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn1.7.1?stage=2&word=pain&posnumber=1&searchtypenumber=2&senses=3&showglosses=1

-- a little long, but usable.  Then we need a topic element which
refers to this subject indicator:

<topicmap><topic ID="pain"><subjectIndicatorRef
xlink:href="http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn1.7.1?stage=2&word=pain&posnumber=1&searchtypenumber=2&senses=3&showglosses=1"/>
</topic></topicmap>.

Now we can pretend that this whole email is a topic map, and since
the email will have an URL when it gets logged in the archives,
we will end up with a URI for painful sensation:

http://lists.xml.org/blah-blah-blah.html#pain

where blah-blah-blah won't be known until after I've finished
writing this email.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There