   Re: [xml-dev] Xerces error report "attribute 'foo' should be qualified"

In article <A15AA644DB4AD511B1E800306E0077208B4263@MAILSERVER> you write:

>Error at file D:\XML\testschema.xml, line 7, char 55
>  Message: Attribute 'foo' should be qualified
>
>[This error (and the others like it that follow) are most puzzling error to
>me.  If I qualify this (xmlns:foo="eh?") this message goes away.  However,
                         ^^^^^^^^^

Presumably you don't really mean that.  You have changed it into a
declaration of the prefix "foo"!

>WHY should I need to qualify this when it is defined in the default
>namespace and the parser is obviously finding it in the declaration of
>element person in the schema?]

The default namespace does not apply to attributes (nothing to do with
schemas, it's just the way namespaces work).  An unprefixed attribute
"belongs" to its element, rather than being directly in a namespace.
If you want to use unprefixed attributes, you should remove the
attributeFormDefault="qualified".

-- Richard