   Re: [xml-dev] "Abstract" URIs

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 23:20, Paul Prescod wrote:
> John Cowan wrote:
> >
> > Not at all.  I said that I, as well as my home page, could be labeled
> > with a URI.  But labeling me and my home page with the *same* URI
> > leads to contradictions.  For example, the year of creation of my
> > home page is 1998 or thereabouts, whereas *my* year of creation is
> > 1958 or thereabouts.
>
> I would say that you are probably:
>
>  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/
>
> and your home page is probably:
>
>  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/index.html
>
> But if you do a GET on each of them you happen to get an identical
> resource. Alternately you could simply choose not to reify your homepage
> at all.

I've just registered myself a URL. I am now urn:oid:1.2.826.0.1.4062548.2.1,
more properly written as a labelled OID { iso(1) member-body(2) gb(826)
national(0) eng-ltd(1) warhead(4062548) private(2) alaric(1) }. However, it's
not resolveable because *I* am not connected to the Internet. I could have
one that acts as a lame proxy containing data about me that I've uploaded,
but that's not me!

Also, check out the PIN namespace - http://rfc.net/rfc3043.html

>  Paul Prescod

ABS