   RE: [xml-dev] WSIO vs. Semantic Web

Part of being an insider means not listening to
certain conversations.  It is the Queen Elizabeth
approach to the cocktail party gossip.  Don't hear
what you must not know.

Ballmer is a cheerleader for his products and that
IS his job.  He does it well.  The press runs with
it and will stir the pot by whatever means because
that is THEIR job.

As a member of the TAG and the "ear of the TAG
on XML-Dev", you might have noticed the REST
thread.  It indicates that there are definitely
alternatives to how web services can be implemented.
As a TAG member, this should be of some interest
to you.  What is unfortunate, but also comes
with your job, is that you may have to sort this
out and stand either here, or in front of the
most powerful members of the W3C and say,
"IMO and IAW my responsibilities to the TAG,
one of you loses".  Not fun.

But you can't just push it back to Ballmer.
That plays right into the hands of the press
and makes the appearance of controversy reality.
It can't be spun as an organization (WSIO) vs
an initiative (Semantic Web).  It has to be
web service architecture A vs web service
architecture B.  Then it is priority of
investment and resources to one task or
the other (do we spend our time sorting
out the semantic web or web services?