   Re: [xml-dev] WSIO vs. Semantic Web

Joshua Allen wrote:

> Joshua Allen
> Microsoft|.NET Enterprise Servers|SQL Server|WebData|XML Tools
> 425.705.7857
>
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-835247.html
>
> Looks like the beginnings of an invented controversy.  "AI-Nut Semantic
> Webbers vs. Greedy Conglomerate Web Service-ites".  I would hate to see
> people fall for this ploy to write exciting copy and end up polarizing
> their opinions.

I agree that there are a range of opinions, but it is striking to me
that in the last couple of months I've had a representative of big
business complain to me how the W3C is wasting their money and time on
the Semantic Web and a fan of the semantic web describe how web services
are going to screw it all up. So there is some truth among the
over-generalization.

There are two axes at work here:

 1. on the "business side" we have the tech-focused researcher trying to
"get it right" versus the gotta-ship-today software vendor.

 2. On the technical side we have the semantic web which is about
*integrating* information sources (through linking, addressing and
predicate logic) versus RPC which naturally and accidentally balkanizes
them.

 Paul Prescod