   RE: [xml-dev] WSIO vs. Semantic Web

> > Looks like the beginnings of an invented controversy.  "AI-Nut
Semantic
> > Webbers vs. Greedy Conglomerate Web Service-ites".  I would hate to
see
> > people fall for this ploy to write exciting copy and end up
polarizing
> > their opinions.
>
> I agree that there are a range of opinions, but it is striking to me
> that in the last couple of months I've had a representative of big
> business complain to me how the W3C is wasting their money and time on
> the Semantic Web and a fan of the semantic web describe how web
services
> are going to screw it all up. So there is some truth among the
> over-generalization.

That is ridiculous -- you picked two individuals who had differing
opinions and say that this proves that over-generalization is good?  I
am sure that you can find lots of disagreement between other
"representatives of big business" and "fans of the semantic web".  You
are proving my point.

>  2. On the technical side we have the semantic web which is about
> *integrating* information sources (through linking, addressing and
> predicate logic) versus RPC which naturally and accidentally
balkanizes
> them.

Balkanization is more of a danger in semantic web, in my opinion, since
there is a lot more room for individual metadata communities to form and
thrive before they end up having to interoperate.  And it is harder for
a few large vendors to ever have significant enough control over all of
the metadata publishing and consumption pieces to be able to force some
level of sameness from the start.  So I think semantic web will require
*more* vigilance and work than RPC to maintain openness.