   Re: [xml-dev] REST has too many verbs

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 11:01 am, Bill de hÓra wrote:
> But I guess my question is, is such a language something that should
> have been built into say, HTTP with respect to mimetypes, or
> something that could have been slotted in, or indeed left to an
> application to negotiate?

My personal take on this is that HTTP evolved (yes *evolved*) exactly
as it should have, to the point where it is now showing a few cracks.
The choice to use MIME-ish syntax, was, at the time, a smart thing to
do both technically and politically. While some folk anticipated
problems, I doubt anyone anticipated the exact path of evolution.

Developing software is almost always an evolutionary process... and as
many books say, you have to be prepared to throw things away. HTTP
needs some work... so perhaps HTTP-NG (or maybe HTTP-REST) work should
start up....

Unfortunately, the "legacy" issue is always used to justify short-term
measures that cost a lot in the long run.