   Re: [xml-dev] WSIO vs. Semantic Web

2/13/2002 3:00:38 PM, Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@rbii.com> wrote:

>> c) Thus, the data is no longer portable, and the operations are no
>> longer generic, so the Services Web is disjoint from the Web that we
>> know today.
>
>I would argue that you cannoy avoid these things. Application
>semantics/interaction styles exist, one way or another. The sequence
>of interactions, and the data exchanged are necessarily
>application-specific... you cannot deduce them from the permissible
>operations without some form of definition.

I meant that the "representation transfer" operations are generic, not the
operations that are specific to the semantics of the data.  So I always know how
to GET and PUT and DELETE a representation of the XML "object" identified by a
URI, I know how to parse and manipulate it at the syntax/InfoSet level, but of
course I need to understand some definition of the data (which may or may not be
the same as the producer's definition of the data) to perform "meaningful"
operations.  That's still quite a bit more than I can do with an object in a SOAP-
enabled distributed object system without detailed knowledge of the RPC
definition.

Whether it is generally useful to get a chunk of arbitrary XML data is another
matter ...but at least a developer doesn't have to re-invent GET/PUT/POST/DELETE
(and LOCK, UNLOCK, MKCOL, TAKE for that matter) for every new application or class
hierarchy.