   Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names was: Re: [xml-dev] "Abstract" URIs

jborden@attbi.com wrote:

>>Anyhow, I too now have a URI:
>>
>>	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/self.xtm#self
>>

> Properly this is a URI reference.

So it is.

> so while you are (I assume) the authority on the type of
> the resource identified
> by:
>
> http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/
>
> and you are free to assert that it identifies a
> hypertext document, there is
> nothing that mandates this. Indeed you are also free to
> assert that this URI represents _you_ if you so choose.

I agree.  But it would not be Grice-anly cooperative to
assert that it represented *both* of them.  Thus if
someone queries the semantic web "Does http://www.ccil.org/self.xtm#self
contain 32 characters?" the answer would be "No",
since John Cowan is not representable in characters.

> The point is that URIs leverage the global naming and
> registration system to allow people to create URIs and
> define what these URIs represent.

Create, yes; define, how?  Only by some metadata
convention such as RDF or TM.

> in predicate logic:
>
> for all ?person such that
>      mailbox(?person,"mailto:jborden@mediaone.net";) and
>      mailbox(?person,"mailto:jborden@attbi.com";)
>   implies
>      name(?person, "Jonathan Borden")

Sure, absolutely.  The same can be said of me and my
two mailboxes.  But since a resource is anything that
has identity, and every resource can potentially have
a URI, we still must:

1) decide the URI of ?person such that name(?person,
    "Jonathan Borden")

2) figure out how to make this URI available to others.

> Considering that such logics have been around and well
> characterized for many decades, I am not sure what topic
> maps bring to the table. I do think that I need
> something like a topic map to see how these concepts
> relate between TM, RDF, FOPL etc.

TM and RDF are equivalent in power.  TM predefines certain
predicates such as nameOf, trueWithRespectTo, typeOf,
instanceOf, playsRole, and provides a syntax for
expressing them.  I owe several people a paper explaining
the details, and I'm basically hung up on a single
RDF detail -- and lack of time, of course, lack of time.

Both TM and RDF are capable of expressing FOPL ground terms
only: they have no concept of quantified variables.
(The obsolescent RDF concepts of aboutEach and aboutEachPrefix
were a minor exception.)  One could easily write code to
transform a TM or RDFbase into a bunch of Prolog facts.

> The term "subject" is
> in grave danger of becoming as overloaded as "resource"

"[A] subject is anything whatsoever, regardless of whether it exists or
has any other specific characteristics, about which anything whatsoever
may be asserted by any means whatsoever."
	--the XTM specification

So a subject is a resource and vice versa.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com