   Layers and QNames

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Layers and QNames
  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 08:12:37 +0100

It's really a matter of layers IMO, and I would find it perfectly
legitim for an application to implement its own mechanisms such as:

<foo appns:bar="http://example.org/appns"/>

or a more general substitution stuff:

<foo>
   <alias>
     <name>bar</name>
     <value>http://example.org/appns</value>
   </alias>
   <stuff>{$bar}#anything</stuff>
</foo>

So, this is not a matter of comparing

<xs:element ref="foo:bar"/>

vs

<xs:element ref="{http://example.org/foo}bar"/>

But a matter of comparing

<xs:schema xmlns:foo="http://example.org/foo"/>

vs (for instance)

<xs:schema xsns:foo="http://example.org/foo"/>

Note that in the above case, 99.9% of the schemas will declare the
namespace foo without using it in the schema (considered as a XML
document) and that I see *no* reason to use a markup level mechanism for
the application W3C XML Schema!

Eric
--
Rendez-vous a Paris pour mes formations XML/XSLT.
                                           http://dyomedea.com/formation/