   Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names was: Re: [xml-dev] "Abstract" URIs

Patrick Stickler wrote:

<snip/>

> What we need is a global metadata registry (or registries)
> that provides access to knowledge by arbitrary URI, which
> is expressed in standardized ontologies with consistent
> semantics -- ideally expressed in RDF.

<snip/>

> You know, something like a Semantic Web...  ;-)

Yes, we badly need it.

In the meantime, I have customers who need to publish "namespaces" or
more precisely resources describing namespaces, you know, those nasty
things such as text descriptions and documentations, XML Schemas (W3C or
not), stylesheets and this king of stuff.

I can ask them to wait for the Semantic Web, but they will probably be
right to turn to my competitors and it's probably wise to publish their
documents in as many schema repositories as we can find in the meantime
(just like it's wise to submit your web pages to search engines and
repositories untill the Semantic Web can groke them)...

What harm does it do if they also use the namespace URI to host a RDDL
description?

It's not a matter of religion but a simple pragmatic thing to do right
now to increase the chances that someone who receive a document using a
namespace can find some information about the namespace.

And when the Semantic Web will be ready, a simple XSLT transformation
will be enough to extract the RDF statements out of the RDDL document!

Really, I don't see where the problem is. I don't see RDDL as a
competitor to the Semantic Web but rather as a pragmatic step toward it...

Eric

--
See you in Seattle.
                                        http://knowledgetechnologies.net/