   Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names was: Re: [xml-dev]"Abstract"URIs

On 2002-02-14 20:46, "ext Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net> wrote:

> Patrick Stickler wrote:

>> But is not the representation of a resource a resource?
>
> No, not according to the way those terms are used on the Web.

Well, I've said this before and I'll say it again here, it
seems that the views of the Web and Semantic Web are diverging,
or rather, the needs of the SW, particularly with regards to
greater precision in the treament of URI semantics, is a superset
of the needs of the Web and are thus not being met by Web-specific
solutions.

The "contemporary view" is a good example of this, IMO.

>> ... How
>> do we then refer to both "the Eiffel Tower" and a "description
>> of the Eiffel Tower" if they have the same URI.
>
> If the description is important enough to be its own resource then it
> could get a new URI.

No shit? Really?

> If you really, really want to reify ALL representations in one fell
> swoop then you could do that at the RDF or topic map level.

Ummmm.... that is *precisely* what I have been trying to do.

See my comment above about the needs of the Web and SWeb
diverging...  ;-)

>> The resource has a URI. Each representation of the resource
>> is also a resource and has a different URI, etc.
>
> If a "representation" is a "resource" then you are not using the word
> representation in the HTTP/URI sense.

Of course I'm not! HTTP is just one component of the Semantic Web.

The heart and soul of the Semantic Web are URIs, not HTTP.
It's the ability to identify things and attach descriptions to those
things. Some of those things might be HTTP GETable, but many,
if not most, will *not* be (meaning all the vocabulary we use
to organize our view of the world).

See my comment above about the needs of the Web and SWeb
diverging...  ;-)

> But that representation (in your
> sense) can have a representation (in the HTTP/URI sense) that you GET by
> dereferencing its URI (which must be distinct from the original
> resource's URI).

Returning a description of a resource from a GET rather than
the resource is an error. If the resource is not GETable, you
should get 404. Period. A representation of a non-digital
resource is a resource, and both the resource and all its
representations should have distinct URIs.

Cheers,

Patrick