   RE: [xml-dev] WSIO vs. Semantic Web - Setting the Record Straight

Been there.

Gotta say though, MS has contributed mightily to
the growth of XML and Internet technologies. Whatever
one chooses to say is "The Web", and these threads
prove to me no one has the answer to that for
everyone, many if not most of us use the core technologies
of one or two of these companies, so willy nilly or
not, we march.  That means we have to understand
our tools if not necessarily the orders.   The baseline
specifications are there.  The global specifications
are proposed.  If we stop and say, "ah there is a
better way", we may be doing precisely what the
SGMLers and Hytimers did originally with HTML.
There was a better way; it was irrelevant at that time.
Maybe not now.

"Rough consensus and running code" rules, same as it ever has.
The question is now, who decides when a consensus forms,
and whose running code do we use.  The challenge of the
WSIO is to prove that doesn't matter.  You say they
will fail at that challenge.  I say we should take
their specs apart and see how they work.  Unless I
am mistaken, products are on the loading dock now.

len