   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST was Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> The resource/entity distinction is deeply exciting to people seeking
> extra layers of abstraction - and I'd suggest that such people have
> already forgotten that locators were already a layer of abstraction, as
> are schemes.  Layer after layer after layer - and the net result is mere
> confusion.

The core issue is whether we are able to describe anything but "documents"
on the Web. One might take the position that nothing but documents exists on
the Web. But it is the literal incantation of a document which is defined as
the _entity_ (the series of bits)

As I see it, every document is _about_ something. It is that something which
is the _resource_.

Needless layers of abstraction are just a waste of time. On the other hand
it is essential to distinguish between a description of something and the
thing that is described. For example: XML Namespaces. The RDDL document
isn't the namespace, it describes the namespace. Or your homepage, it may
describe you  --if you say so-- but it isn't you --no matter what you say--.

Jonathan