   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST was Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names

Joe English scripsit:

> Two URIs are equal when they are textually identical.  Period.

Well, there is selective case-insensitivity.

> This doesn't rule out statements like "Topic Map X declares
> that URI Y and URI Z denote the same resource" of course.  This is
> vaguely analogous to a formal proof that the two procedures
> in question compute the same function, in the sense that it's
> possible to state that two URIs are equivalent, just not within
> the system itself.

I think that's correct but badly worded.  Rather than saying that
the URIs denote the same resource, I should rather say that the
distinct resources denoted by the distinct URIs are equivalent.
That allows us to add notions of time or purpose to the
general equivalence relation, rather than using the narrowest
possible equivalence relation, viz. identity.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There