   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST was Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names

2/17/2002 11:39:25 PM, "Gary Stephenson" <garys@ihug.com.au> wrote:

>Absolutely. Date is right to insist that the data model be strongly-typed
>(albeit dynamically so).  We (er..  I ) already use RelaxNG and the XML
>Schemas Datataypes for dynamically defining domains in our DBMS,  over and
>above for the "typing" of XML elements.  I think there is great potential
>there for a unified typed data model embracing both relations (RDBMS) and
>trees (XML).  Whether this data model could be usefully deployed generically
>within REST is what I am trying to explore here.

I see what you're getting at ... I don't know if REST would say anything one
way or the other about this, after all it is just HTTP best practice not
anything you can't do today.

>yup!  Except that he'd actually like us to implement a relational database
>the way _Date_ defined it! <g>  This has always been my big problem with the
>Third Manifesto stuff, as also with  RDBMS systems in general.  It would
>seem that they are in fact impossible to implement!  If not, then why hasn't
>anyone - including Date and Fabian Pascal - yet done so?

Well, I've learned the hard way that if you ask Fabian Pascal this question,
he will rudely question your intelligence, education, experience,
... parentage, species <grin> ... but not offer a compelling answer.

For what it is worth, there is supposedly a "stealth"
company with a patent on a truly innovative database technology that
will do all this with the assistance/blessing of Codd and Date.  The
only trace of them I've found on the internet is this help wanted ad:
http://www.cppsig.org/guestbook/ [search for "Codd" within the page],
and US Patent 6,009,432