   ANN: XML database products list updated

I've just done my annual-and-a-bit update of the XML database products
list. You can find the new list at:

   http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDatabaseProds.htm

There are 18 new products and 23 updated descriptions of previously
listed products. (I didn't try to update the descriptions of all
products.)

For me, the most interesting points are the large number of native XML
databases and the fact that Sybase decided to enter the XML arena not
with an object-relational mapping like other relational databases but
with native XML support.

For those of you who are curious about such things, the break-down of
products among different categories is:

   Middleware:                 46 products
   XML-enabled databases:       7 products
   Native XML databases:       28 products
   XML servers:                 6 products
   XML application servers:    13 products
   Content management systems: 22 products
   Discontinued(?) products:    8 products

XML application servers and content management systems are certainly
under-represented, as there are a huge number of these on the market and
most probably support XML.

Finally, at a risk to my own sanity (wading through marketing drivel on
Web sites is not fun :), comments welcome.

-- Ron