-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paul@prescod.net]

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> I don't believe in
>
> "The ultimate goal of Web services, many vendors say, is to let Internet
> applications interact with each other the same way humans interact with
> them."
>
> That doesn't work.

Today I step through some Expedia forms to buy an airline ticket, or to
buy a book from Amazon. Tomorrow I write a Python program to step
through for me. It demonstrably works, even with plain old HTML. I know
it works because I do it!

> ... I believe humans configure these systems to work
> and keep up with what they do.  Again, pay attention to what I am
> saying about not going too deep with this.  Fine-grained processing
> will become hazardous to the health of the business at light speed.

That's why you want to concentrate on *XML message vocabularies* and not
procedure call parameters. You define your XML first to be coarse
grained and then define interfaces into your business systems rather
than generating schemas from your Foxpro or C# code.

> After that, again as I said to Dave, it appears the vendor gets
> to choose between RPC and UDDI/HTTP in the toolkits.  Many of us
> who build applications get to choose among the toolkits.

Microsoft shipped their REST toolkit in 1998.