   Re: [xml-dev] Re: [namespaceDocument-8] 14 Theses

Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> In general, let us guess that in about 60% of cases,
> a namespace+name is enough to know to process an element.
> In 20% of cases we will need to know the parent.
> And in 20% of cases, we need to know the value
> of an attribute too. Maybe 1% of cases (lists) we need to
> know whether it is the first element or not.

Interesting. The XML languages I work with are essentially object
serializations. The estimates above are close enough with one caveat:
processing an element doesn't mean doing anything with the result. That
is, given the namespace+name, I know how to get a value from an element,
but I don't know where to put it -- that is, which object it is a
property of. Except for the root element, that always depends on the
parent. This would be true of all data binding solutions.

-- Ron