   RE: [xml-dev] SOAP-RPC and REST and security

  • To: "Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] SOAP-RPC and REST and security
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:04:49 -0800

What I'd like to know is WHY he is against SOAP. In the old days I could
understand why people didn't want various RPC services exposed on their
machines because they were a security risk due to all the buffer
overflows and the like that existed in them.

<aside>
A default install of Redhat 6.2 while I was in college was 0wn3d in the
amount of time it took me to make dinner due to one of the rpc.statd
</aside>

Nowadays that web servers allow requests that execute server side code
from servlets to ASP to CGIs, I'm not sure exactly why anyone would be
opposed to what is simply another mechanism for telling a server to
execute some preset operation on the server.

Unless Bruce Schneir us simply against all mechanisms that would allow
clients to execute code on the server even if the code was already
predetermined.

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #119
I will not attempt to kill the hero by placing a venomous creature in